Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

HSV Garden Challenge

I am really excited (and a little nervous) to start gardening with Bee! My attempts in the past have been not so great. I am hoping with the help of this blog hop and Bee's interest in the plants I should be able to grow some Cherry Tomatoes, Strawberries, and just help some flowers to do their thing. This is what we've got to work with so far:

 The three empty green pots now all have an assortment of tulips/hyacinths/daffodils. The small green pot behind Bee has a rhubarb that we've had for a couple of years.
So far the big black pot has some rhubarb growing but Bee (in his excitement to dig) knocked off the leaves. The green pot will have asiatic lillies I believe. They come back every year. The large brown pot had Balloon Flowers in them last year and if they don't come back on their own I'll probably plant some more in there later. 
 Bee tending the the tulips/daffodils/hyacinths before they were planted in the pots.
Bee and Daddy tending to the tulips/daffodils/hyacinths after being planted. The bottom pot is our rhubarb (MMmmmMMMmmm)

Also, we hope to plant some cherry Tomato plants. We bought the seeds and will be planting them inside in biodegradable pots this afternoon! They need to grow inside for a couple of weeks then be moved out when the chance of freezing is gone.  We hope to have 2/3 of these planted in a planter box (Daddy wants to make) in the left side of our yard for fruits and veggies. Once the planted box is made we'll plant the tomatoes, rhubarb, and some strawberries in there for this year!

I've been looking at a couple of websites to help with this task. Kiddie Gardens has some great suggests for kid gardens and activities that help kiddos learn. I also have downloaded the Garden Preschool Pack Homeschool Creations. Much of the pack is too advanced for my toddler but tonight I hope to laminate the matching cards and get Bee playing with those! He really enjoys matching things and it helps his vocabulary tremendously. 

My goal for Bee is to develop of love of the outdoors and to better my own abilities in the gardening arena.  All of our gardening activities have to be closely monitored with the little guy as he just likes to play in the dirt! But hey, love of anything has got to start somewhere! 

If you are interested in joining the fun join the Garden Challenge at The Homeschool Village.


3 comments:

  1. I love the first picture! Two handed watering, now thats the way to get the job done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I love to see your family enjoying the gardening adventure with your little guy! Memories in the making! P.S. Next link up is April 28th 10am EST
    Susan - The HSV TEAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious =0) There is so much good that comes from time in the "garden"... even with failures. I hope you have a fruitful season, and lots of fun with your little Bee =)

    ReplyDelete