Every month I like to check on Bee's development and make sure I am working with him on the things that I should be. I'm in no way concerned for his development but this gives me a place to start on activities for us to do together and things to work on. I get my information from several sources but The New Parents Guide provides a nice overview of what toddlers might be doing every month. Green writing means that I feel Bee performs the task very well. Yellow writing means it's a skill he demonstrates occasionally but can still use work. Red writing means it is a skill I have rarely seen Bee do.
Most toddlers should be able to . . .
Most toddlers should be able to . . .
- Start to climb and explore: Bee loves climbing on everything now. He has even started climbing on kitchen chairs. Oh no!! Now I have to keep my kitchen table clean!
- Respond to simple direction: Bee will respond to simple directions like "put your book in toy box", "turn off the light", "shut the door", "get your shoes... bib... book... (anything really)."
- Enjoy certain games: He definitely enjoys some games and activities more than others.
- Like to ride toy: Bee loves riding on his lion toy and rocking horses that are available at gymboree!
Some toddlers will probably be able to . . .
- Say up to 10 or 15 word: most definitely! among them are: "no", "cat","dog", "airplane", "please", "book", "up", "diaper", "slide", "food", "bubbles", "cake", "car", "helicopter", and "fire"
- Separation anxiety lessen: Bee doesn't typically have separation anxiety, but occasionally he will have an issues when he sees me leave or is in a new environment.
- Run well: Bee can definitely use practice with running but I think he is moving very well for his age.
- Uses certain words regularly: Bee definitely uses words regularly. Like "book", "please", and "cat"
Some toddlers could possibly be able to . . .
- Talk more clearly: Bee needs more practice emphasizing the endings of his words.
- Kick ball in forward direction: We have not really worked on this skill so I will begin to work on it more in the coming weeks.
- Like to sort toys: Bee definitely is not interested in sorting things. It's VERY RARE that I can get him to. Although we have started matching some things and he seems to get that most of the time.
- String more words together to make phrases or puts together pairs of words: Bee has just begun this past week to string words together like "sit down" or "book please". Lots of work still needs to be done in this area.
- Brush teeth with help: Very rarely will he help bush his teeth. Most of the time it's just a challenge to get us to brush his teeth!


Thank you for sharing this great list of milestones. It looks like Bee is developing perfectly:-).
ReplyDeleteLove.
Ewa